When you’re navigating life with your partner, it can be hard to know the right thing to say in each moment. We are all human. We mess up. We get it wrong. And yet we all crave and yearn for connection, and getting it right.
See 15 phrases for connection that you might want to use in your relationship, or keep in your back pocket for when the timing is right!
Sometimes, acknowledging what is going on is all someone needs to feel seen, heard, and cherished.
Take whichever you like:
- I don’t know what to do or say right now but I want you to know we’re in this together and we’re going to figure it out.
- Let’s try this again.
- Let’s talk about this again.
- Can we have a do over?
- What happened there? Can you share with me what’s coming up for you?
- After listening to your partner vent or share a problem: How can I best support you right now?
- I know that we’re struggling right now, but I just want you to know that I love you / I’m not going anywhere.
- I know we don’t see eye to eye on this but I want you to know I respect you and your point of view even when I don’t agree with it.
- You are not in trouble and I’m not going anywhere, I just want to discuss something so you can have the tools to love me better because it’s not your fault that you can’t read my mind or know exactly what to say or do in each moment.
- It was not my intent to make you feel this way but you matter to me, your feelings are a priority to me, and I will keep this in mind for the future so that you don’t feel this way again.
- I really appreciate the effort you’re putting into [this relationship / our home / your work / our kids / our finances / making time for us]. I see it and it means a lot to me.
- I know I’ve been busy but I just want you to know that I care and I‘ve been thinking about you even though it might not seem like it lately.
- I know I can come off critical at times but I just want you to know that you’re enough and you’re doing enough and you make me very happy. I’m sorry if there are times when I make you feel like that’s not the case.
- I’m here. I’m not going anywhere.
- I’m really proud of you.
If you want help navigating your partnership in a more harmonious way and communicating with your partner in a way that it lands, this is what I help my clients with.
I will give you all the communication tools (and common pitfalls that I see my clients experience) so that you and your partner can feel both heard, seen, understood and celebrated in your relationship.
We both know love is not the issue. You both clearly love each other. So let’s improve your communication style so that you can lean into that love more frequently and thrive in your partnership.
Sign up for a consult call and let’s start coaching 1-on-1 today!